The Canyon Lake Gorge is currently only open to the public for guided tours. All tours are led by a volunteer tour staff; consisting of a certified guide with assistance from trained docents and GBRA staff. Tours are three-hour educational and highlight the Power of Water and prepaid reservations are recommended.
Our goals is to increase each visitor's understanding of the:
· Canyon Reservoir Project and Canyon Lake Gorge: A unique partnership between the Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Gorge Preservation Society.
· Geology of Central Texas.
· Hydrogeology: the interconnectedness of groundwater and surface water.
· Interrelationship between humans and the physical environment.
· Process of biological succession: the progression an ecosystem follows as it changes over time.
· Plants and animals found in the natural communities of the Gorge.
· Appreciation and respect for the natural environment!
ONCE TICKETS ARE PURCHASED:
· Participants will receive an e-mail confirmation automatically when tickets are purchased.
· One week prior to the tour, participants will receive a detailed e-mail reminder with relevant information, guidelines, directions, and their Guide and Docents' names and phone contact.
TOUR CHANGES, CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS:
· Tour dates are locked in 10 days prior to the original booked tour and may not be changed.
· No refunds or rescheduling will be given for no-shows or late arrivals.
· Cancelation Due To Weather: Our office, and/or your volunteer guide will make a weather related cancellation decision no less than one hour prior to your tour’s scheduled start time. Participants will be notified at that time using the cell phone number provided at tour registration. Please contact the GBRA Canyon Lake Gorge Office at (830)964-5424 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reschedule or request a refund. Please allow up to 10 days for processing.
· Illness, Injury or Bereavement: If you need to cancel or change your tour date due to illness, injury or bereavement, contact the GBRA Canyon Lake Gorge Office at (830)964-5424 or email email@example.com with your request. We will work with you to reschedule your tour. In the event we are unable to reschedule a refund will be issued. Please allow up to 10 days for processing.
RULES FOR ALL GORGE TOURS:
ALL TOUR PARTICIPANTS MUST HAVE A SIGNED LIABILITY RELEASE: Please have forms signed prior to the tour. Your guide will collect them at the start of your tour.
NO FOSSIL COLLECTING.
CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 7 ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE GORGE.
ADULT TO YOUTH RATIO REQUIREMENTS:
- Ages 7-10, one adult for every child
- Ages 11-15, one adult for every three children
- Ages 16-20, one adult for every five youth
NO SMOKING or VAPING.
STAY ON THE PATH: Gorge tours are restricted to a designated route. Participants must stay with Volunteer Tour Staff at all times.
PROPER FOOTWEAR REQUIRED: Tour participants must wear footwear appropriate for hiking -- sneakers, hiking boots, etc. No slick-soled shoes or sandals. If no appropriate footwear, you will not be allowed to participate in the tour and will not be eligible for a refund.
HYDRATION/HEALTH SAFETY: Tour participants are advised to bring at least one bottle of water. Snacks and cameras are also a good idea. All items should be carried in a backpack of some type so that hands remain free. During the summer months we suggest wearing a hat and sunscreen.
· Tours close when full at 23 participants.
· Tour sign-ups close 24 hours prior to the start of the tour.
· Public Tours are posted quarterly; Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun. Jul-Sep, and Oct-Dec.
· Tours begin at the GBRA property, 16029 South Access Road, Canyon Lake, TX 78133. The property is located at the bottom of the Gorge, below the Dam.
· The gate to the property will be unlocked a half hour prior to the start of the tour; please arrive no later than 15 minutes prior to the start of the tour to allow for sign-in and shuttling to our start location.
· For safety, the gate will be locked during the tour and unlocked again once the tour group returns to the Visitor Center.
· The gate to the property will be locked again approximately 30 minutes following the tour. Please do not leave your car at the gorge property following your tour.
· GPS Coordinates: N29 51.777 W098 11.228
The Gorge Preservation Society (GPS) is a local citizen's group whose mission is to promote the enjoyment and conservation of this unique natural phenomenon by encouraging responsible, quality access opportunities through academic partnerships, economic initiatives and citizen involvement.