Canyon Lake Gorge is currently only open to the public for guided tours.
All tours are led by a volunteer tour staff consisting of a certified guide
with assistance from trained docents and GBRA staff. Tours are three-hour educational tours and highlight
the "Power of Water." Prepaid reservations are recommended.
goals is to increase each visitor's understanding of the:
- Canyon Reservoir Project and Canyon Lake Gorge: A unique
partnership between the Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority, the U.S. Army Corps
of Engineers and the Gorge Preservation Society.
- Geology of Central Texas.
- Hydrogeology: the interconnectedness of groundwater and
- Interrelationship between humans and the physical
- Process of biological succession: the progression an
ecosystem follows as it changes over time.
- Plants and animals found in the natural communities of the
- Appreciation and respect for the natural environment!
TICKETS ARE PURCHASED:
· Participants will receive an e-mail confirmation
automatically when tickets are purchased.
· One week prior to the tour, participants will receive a
detailed e-mail reminder with relevant information, guidelines, directions, and
their Guide and Docents' names and phone contact.
TOUR CHANGES, CANCELLATIONS AND
· Tour dates are locked in 10 days prior to the original booked tour and
may not be changed.
· No refunds or rescheduling will be given for no-shows or late arrivals.
· Cancelation Due To Weather: Our office, and/or your volunteer guide will make a weather
related cancellation decision no less
than one hour prior to your tour’s scheduled start time. Participants
will be notified at that time using the cell phone number provided at tour
· Illness, Injury or Bereavement: If you need to cancel or change your tour date due to
illness, injury or bereavement, contact the GBRA Canyon Lake Gorge Office at
(830)964-5424 or email email@example.com with your
request. We will work with you to
reschedule your tour. In the event we are
unable to reschedule, a refund will be issued. Please allow up to 10 days for
RULES FOR ALL GORGE TOURS:
- ALL TOUR
PARTICIPANTS MUST HAVE A SIGNED LIABILITY RELEASE:
have forms signed prior to the tour. Your guide will collect them at
the start of your tour.
- NO FOSSIL COLLECTING.
- NO PETS.
- CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF
7 ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE GORGE.
- ADULT TO YOUTH RATIO REQUIREMENTS: Ages 7-10, one adult for every child; Ages 11-15, one adult for every three children; Ages 16-20, one adult for every five youth.
- NO SMOKING or VAPING.
- STAY ON THE PATH: Gorge tours are restricted to a designated route.
Participants must stay with Volunteer Tour Staff at all times.
- PROPER FOOTWEAR REQUIRED: Tour participants must wear footwear appropriate for
hiking -- sneakers, hiking boots, etc. No slick-soled shoes or sandals. If
no appropriate footwear, you will not be allowed to participate in the
tour and will not be eligible for a refund.
SAFETY: Tour participants are advised
to bring at least one bottle of water. Snacks and cameras are also a
good idea. All items should be carried in a backpack of some type so
that hands remain free. During the summer months we suggest wearing a hat
- Health Advisory: Tours are physically demanding. If you or any of your
group’s participants have health concerns such as bad knees or ankles, heart
condition or get easily winded, you may want to rethink this tour. In addition, it gets hot in the Gorge very quickly on
sunny/warm days; please make sure you are well hydrated before the tour.
- Tours close when full at 23 participants.
- Tour sign-ups close 24 hours prior to the start of the tour.
- Public Tours are posted quarterly; Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun. Jul-Sep, and Oct-Dec.
- Tours begin at the
GBRA property, 16029 South Access Road, Canyon Lake, TX 78133. The property is located at the bottom of the
Gorge, below the Dam.
- The gate to the
property will be unlocked a half hour prior to the start of the tour; please
arrive no later than 15 minutes prior to the start of the tour to allow for
sign-in and shuttling to our start location.
- For safety, the gate
will be locked during the tour and unlocked again once the tour group returns
to the Visitor Center.
- The gate to the
property will be locked again approximately 30 minutes following the tour. Please do not leave your car at the gorge property
following your tour.
- GPS Coordinates: N29 51.777 W098 11.228
- Questions: Please call
(830) 964-5424, Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org.